When it comes to sleeping, we’re all looking for ways to have beautiful and restful sleep throughout the whole night. Whether it’s a trustworthy and reliable mattress or a body-pillow that fits our needs, we’re always seeking the accessories for walking up rested and energized in the morning.
One of the “tools” we can use for that is an electric blanket. It’s made for the people who are always cold or got tired of searching high and low for the warmest blanket out there.
What’s to say about the electric blanket in a nutshell?
As it’s made of sturdy and heavy material, an electric blanket has a wiring system that ensures heat and warmth through its wires. You need to plug it into an electrical outlet and set the heating setting you need at a time.
Most electric blankets are made of various types of acrylic and polyester materials. Thanks to the combinations, the risk for fire is minimal, whereas the warmth remains constant.
Most of the electric blankets out there come with three heat levels (low, medium, and high) with the larger models (double or the king-sized ones) coming with adjustable heat levels for every side.
You may easily control the level of heat with the attached remote of the blanket. The electric blanket is easy to use, and many benefit it.
What are the benefits? Are there any downsides?
As with everything else in life, electric blanket come with up and downs. Here are the benefits to mention:
- They ensure a consistent and constant source of heat during the cold season. They’re an excellent solution for anyone with poor circulation, which causes a continuous feeling of being chilly.
- The new models use low wattages of electricity that works with a transformer so that they don’t use power straight from the outlet for giving heat. The electricity goes through a cycle through the transformer.
- Electric blankets help save energy, cutting the need for several layers down
- Most of them allow proper cleaning and washing at home; follow the provided instructions for staying on the safe side.
Even though they’re not significant, the electric blankets present some downsides as well:
- As it’s a wired product, the electric bedspread wears out after some time; it does need replacement after some time
- It’s not safe to use it with your furry friend on the bed; the chewing and clawing may damage the wires for good
- You shouldn’t use it for someone numbed to heat or disabled as it may cause burns.
Who is Biddeford?
Biddeford Mills TM manufactures electric blankets, mattress pads and throws for affordable prices. With 150 years of history, Biddeford Mills was bought by Microlife (a company from Taiwan) in the early 2000s. Since then, they’ve been continually selling more and more electric blanket and electric throws.
What makes the Biddeford electric blankets so unique?
Using safe technology that is continuously tested, Biddeford electric blankets are a popular name within the category.
They come with analog rotary dial controllers, but some use digital push button models. The blankets are machine washable, economical, taking the use for a reasonable amount of time.
Even if some claim the blanket fabrics to be a bit scratchy and the controllers to lack impressive reliability, the Biddeford electric blankets are dependable, effective, and more than anything, really affordable.
The safety problem
When you’re wondering about the electricity your wired blanket is using, it’s essential to know that particular safety policies are mandatory.
As long as you’re using it right (it’s not a regular blanket, but an appliance as well), you should be able to stay on the safe side and use less energy than expected. Here are some tips to remember when using an electric blanket:
- Take a good look at the heat settings so that you lower the risk for overheating
- Even if most models come with auto shut-off function, it’s better not to leave it on throughout the whole night
- It’s better not to bundle or fold the blanket as you may damage the electric elements inside and the thermostat. Electrocution, overheating, and the fire is only some of the possible effects.
- Never use your electric blanket near an open window (especially if it’s cold). The thermometer is supposed to work at room temperature, with the cooler temperatures causing the blanket to use more power, which leads to overheating.
Which models do we recommend?
1. Biddeford Electric Heated Mattress Pad
The Biddeford electric blankets come in a nice variety of models, and deciding on one isn’t that easy. Our selection is going to help you make a bright idea and decide for yourself which type fits your needs the best way.
One of the most appreciated models from Biddeford is Biddeford 5902-908221-100 Electric Heated Mattress Pad, White, Queen.
As it’s made with 100% polyester, the electric blanket isn’t just affordable (which may be its selling point), but also dependable for most customers out there.
The electric blanket is a 100% polyester skirted mattress pad that comes with dual controls for the Queen and King size. The twin and Full size come with just one controller.
Easy to use and provide good heat on its entire surface, the electric blanket is machine washable. Some like to air it dry entirely for expanding its life span.
Using the electric blanket is safe thanks to the Auto-Off function. Therefore, the blanket turns off automatically after 8 hours of use.
As it’s coming with a five-year warranty, the electric blanket provides therapeutic heat and comes in a zipper bag with handles. You can carry it when traveling easy.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- It’s made with 100% polyester
- It provides therapeutic heat
- It comes with automatic turn-off and dual controls
- It’s machine washable
The downsides aren’t significant:
- Some may feel the cords
- The heating could work better in the bottom area
Beggars cannot be choosers and, for the buck you’re paying, an electric blanket is a good option any given day.
2. Biddeford MicroPlush Sherpa Electric Heated Blanket
One great thing about the next model, the Biddeford 2061-9052140-633 MicroPlush Sherpa Electric Heated Blanket Full Sage, is that its fabric isn’t going to catch cat fur. Therefore, as long as you’re keeping your eyes on your furry friend, you may very well take the cat in bed with you when using the blanket.
The electric blanket comes with digital controls and heats up incredibly fast. It heats up evenly, which only increases your comfort.
You can select from 10 heating settings and stay safe thanks to the auto shut-off feature. It’s going to turn off automatically after 10 hours of use.
The blanket is made with 100% polyester micro plush top and a Sherpa bottom. The wires aren’t, so the blanket feels comfortable.
You get one controller for the full and twin size modes, whereas the Queen and King come with two controllers.
The electric blanket stays in place and is machine washable too.
Listing our favs about it:
- It heats up fast and evenly
- It doesn’t attract cat fur
- It’s soft and comfortable
- The use is straightforward, and the reliability is good
The downsides aren’t deal breakers:
- It doesn’t come with clips holding the power cord
- Some doubt its durability
Reliable, comfortable, and great for the cat owners, the electric blanket is a keeper for sure.
3. Biddeford Electric Heated Blanket Full Cream
Providing a pleasant soft touch feel, the Biddeford 2061-9052140-702 MicroPlush Sherpa Electric Heated Blanket Full Cream is one attractive model to try.
The electric blanket comes with digital controls that help you select one of the ten heat settings. The control unit has a bright glowing digital display, and it’s intuitive and straightforward to use.
It’s made with 100% polyester micro plush top and Sherpa bottom, the blanket features fragile wires, for increased comfort. It feels soft against the skin, and it’s lightweight. The blanket stays in place and doesn’t shift around during the night.
The automatic shut-off feature keeps you on the safe side, as the blanket turns off automatically after 10 hours of use.
The twin and full-size models come with a single controller, whereas the queen and king come with two controllers.
The blanket comes with an appealing cream color and has a sufficient size for the bed. It’s machine washable and comes with a 5-year warranty.
Let’s list our favs:
- It’s soft and lightweight
- The wires are, and the blanket is comfortable
- It includes ten heat settings
- The control unit is easy to read even in the dark, and it has an intuitive interface
The downsides aren’t deal breakers:
- Some think that the heating feel irregular
- The cord is a tad short
Regardless of the minor issues, as it’s comfortable, lightweight, soft, and has a beautiful color, the model is one reliable choice for so many out there.
4. Biddeford Electric Heated Mattress Pad
Thick and luxurious, the Biddeford 5302-9051128-100 Sherpa Quilted Skirt Electric Heated Mattress Pad, Queen, White is an excellent addition for anyone’s bed setting.
Made with polyester, this one impresses with the luxurious and soft comfortable top, helping one feel pampered within seconds.
The digital control is user-friendly and scrolling through the heat setting for choosing the right one goes smooth as well. The blanket comes with an expandable skirt that fits up to 22″ mattress. If your bed is deep, this one is one of the best models to try.
You can select from Twin, Full, Queen, and King sizes, whereas the soft decorative natural color fits any bedroom. The quilted top is generously filled, and the electric blanket is all about fluffiness and coziness. The 10-hour auto shut-off increases safety while using it. The Queen and King size come with dual temperature control.
We also notice the Graduated warmth zones and the very thin wire for best comfort.
The heated mattress pad is machine washable, which only seals the deal for many.
Let’s take a look at the main good things:
- It has a luxurious and soft top
- It fits the very deep mattresses
- It presents Graduated warmth zones and thin wires
- It comes in a soothing natural color
The minor issues are nothing to worry about:
- Some think that it takes time until it heats
- The power cord may unplug
All things considered, for the luxurious feel and amazing fitting for the deep mattresses, the model is a wise investment of your money any given day.
5. Biddeford Sherpa Heated Blanket Queen Grey
Made with micro mink and Sherpa, the Overstock Biddeford 6003-9051136-902 Micro Mink and Sherpa Heated Blanket Queen Grey is another favorite model to try from Biddeford electric blankets.
The 100% polyester blanket comes with a user-friendly digital controller and ten heat settings to choose. The wires are ultra-thin so that your comfort isn’t affected in any way. The auto shut-off timer keeps you on the safe side while using it and helps you save the energy. The Queen and King size come with dual controllers.
The electric blanket stays in place and is dependable. It comes in beautiful colors, and you can machine wash and dry.
Lightweight, the blanket is comfortable and feels soft on both sides. It doesn’t need much time to heat, managing to maintain the temperature constant throughout the use. It heats evenly, and it’s a solid choice for the cold season.
Let’s take another look at the main good things:
- It has a soft touch feel on both sides
- It’s sleek and easy to use
- It heats up evenly and maintains the heat
- It’s comfortable and dependable
Bells and whistles aside, here are the inherent flaws:
- Some expected the blanket to heat faster
- The controller could be better
Regardless of the minor issues, the model doesn’t disappoint on the comfort, even heating, or straightforward use, which should be enough for sealing the deal.